Discoveries PHE is the professional meeting for photographers that PHotoESPAÑA holds in each of its editions.
On this occasion, it will be held in format classroom from May 31 to June 2, 2023.
The activity offers the possibility to the selected artists to have appointments with national and international experts, in order to create a space where photographers can:
Show their projects to curators and editors
To receive individual advice for your job
Discover trends in the world of image
Share your project with a community of creators
Enlarge your professional network
- Rita Lougares – Artistic Director Coleção Berardo Museum – Portugal
- Diana Cuellar – Independent Commissioner – Mexico
- Tommaso Parrillo – Editorial Director of Witty Books – Italy
- Yves Chatap – Independent Commissioner – Cameroon
- Francis Carpio – Art critic of ABC Cultural – Spain
- Peter Pfunder – Director Swiss Foundation for Photography – Switzerland
- Alberto Salvan – Director of the Tres Tipos Gráficos Studio – Spain
- Sara fernandez – Responsible for the content of the La Fábrica bookstore
- frederique bangerter – Director of the publishing house Cabeza de Chorlito – Spain
- carole sandrin – Curator of the photographic collections of the Institut pour la photographie – France
- Martha Soul – Artist, Curator and Director of the project How to be a photographer
How to participate?
- Fill in all the fields of the registration form.
- Attach a digital dossier in PDF (not to exceed 10 MB) that includes up to 15 photos belonging to the same series.
- There are no restrictions on technique, theme or year.
- We recommend that the photographs belong to the same series.
- It is required to pay the fee pre-registration (€10), non refundable.
Selection of photographs
- A jury will select the participants, a Maximum of 65, and a waiting list.
The organization will communicate the result to those selected by email. The list can be consulted on this web page.
Closing of the call:
Thursday 13 2023 of April
Announcement of selected participants:
Monday 17 2023 of April
Registration payment date:
Monday 24 2023 of April
of the Thursday June 1 to Saturday June 3, 2023
- Three collective meetings of 1H in a group with two viewers and four photographers.
- It is required to pay the pre-registration fee (€10), non-refundable.
- The photographers who have been selected will receive a second communication with directions for:
pay the registration fee (€240).
- Each person will have a total of 6 viewers and 3 collective meetings of 1 hour.
- For this edition, the portfolio viewing appointments will be made with a group of 4 photographers and two viewers so that each participant can learn from the experience of their partner.
- The meetings will last 1 hour and 3 viewers will be present who will advise the 4 selected. Each participant will have 15 minutes to focus on their project.
- In total, each selected will have 3 meetings of 1h (sharing with other participants) and will see 6 viewers (two per meeting).
- The personal calendar of each photographer will be sent before the viewing begins.
- Viewings will be in Spanish and English.
- Non-refundable pre-registration: 10 euros
- Registration: 240 euros
- From among all the works presented in the online and face-to-face format, the winner Discoveries 2023 will be chosen by a jury. The winner will have an individual exhibition in the next edition of the Festival.
The Embassy of Portugal in Madrid and the Camões Institute support two Portuguese photographers to participate free of charge in the activity. Once the call is over and the participants are announced, a selection will be made from among all the works received from Portuguese artists so that two photographers can attend the activity without having to pay the registration fee (240 euros).
The Institut d'Estudis Baleàrics (IEB) also collaborates with PHotoESPAÑA so that 2 photographers from the Balearic Islands participate in the Descubrimientos portfolio viewings. The call is addressed to professional photographers residing in the Balearic Islands or native to the archipelago. The IEB will pay the registration fees.
Selected Discoveries PHE 2023 Online format
alby de abreu
Alexander F. Jaquotot
Carlos Lo Presti
marcel of the castle
Pedro S. Granddaughter